Resources Image Gallery

More Lighthouses

Home
Sandy Hook
Twin Lights
Sea Girt
More Lighthouses

 

The Waackaack Rear Range Light was built in 1856. It stood about 96 foot tall. Although it stood near the waters edge it was the rear range light in conjunction with the Point Comfort Light on the beach. The light's main purpose was to guide vessels coming into the Raritan Bay. It was initially made of wood but was replaced in the 1860's by an iron tower. In 1883 a high powered electric lamp was installed that was magnified by a glass lens. Preparations were made to replace the light-tower beginning in 1891. The tower built for use at the Waackaack Rear Range Light Station was part of the United States Lighthouse Board's exhibit at the World's Columbian Exposition held in Chicago in 1893. This lighthouse was built of iron rings, and as the site for the lighthouse was not ready for its erection at the time the light tower was completed, it became possible for the lighthouse to become an exhibit at the Exposition. When the town of Keansburg officially incorporated as a Borough in 1917, it adopted the outline of the Waackaack Range Light as its seal. By the end of the 1950's the lighthouse was dismantled and sold for scrap.

Point Comfort Lighthouse (a.k.a. Bayside Beacon or Waakaack Front Range Light) was constructed in 1856 and was the front light in the in range with Waackaack.


Conover Beacon
The original 1856 Structure situated on the beach was paired with Chapel Hill Beacon to mark was was known as Chapel Hill Channel.  Interestingly, that wooden tower was toppled in 1940 and replaced with the present open-frame metal structure, originally called Bayside Beacon when located in Keansburg.  Roop Avenue, Middletown Township.  Closed to the public.

Chapel Hill Lighthouse was erected in 1856 and named after a tiny church nearby.  When operational, it was paired with the Conover Beacon located about 1 1/2 miles north on the beach in Leonardo, to mark the key Chapel Hill Channel into Sandy Hook Bay.  At an elevation of 224 feet above the sea, chimneys on both ends flank its square central tower.  It was the last wooden rear range light of its kind in New Jersey before being decommissioned as operating lighthouse in the 1940s and replaced with an automated tower.

It is now a private residence in Middletown Township and is closed to the public.

 

List Price: $3.95
Price: $3.59
You Save: $0.36 (9%)
Edition: Paperback

 

info@monmouthlighthouses.com