the tip of Sandy Hook, NJ, is the oldest working lighthouse
in the country.
It was designed and built
in 1764 by Isaac Conro. The light was built to aid mariners
entering the southern end of the New York harbor. It was originally
called New York Lighthouse because it was funded through a
New York Assembly lottery and a tax on all ships entering
the Port of New York.
Sandy Hook Light has endured
the occupancy of British soldiers during the Revolutionary
War and exposure to the elements on the end of Sandy Hook.
The view of the New York skyline from the bridge crossing
into the Hook illustrates the importance this light played
in the history of New York harbor.
Sandy Hook Lighthouse is part of Gateway National Recreation
Area at Sandy Hook, NJ. The Sandy Hook Lighthouse was
restored in Spring 2000.